Monday, December 30, 2013

What the Year of the Snake brought me

We were planning our preparations for the new year's eve and in the process we talked about how we spent our new year's eve last year. It was in Bukidnon, in the house of my sister. I was a bit excited then because I will get some fireworks again. Fireworks are banned in Davao so we basically have a silent new year celebration every year. We liked it, though, because we didn't have to worry about accidents and cleaning up and health hazards. What I suddenly realized is that, while it happened a year ago, it seemed like it happened just a couple of months ago. Time really move fast, and I wondered how I spent the year 2013.

If I have a great achievement this year it would be finally getting my diploma on my masters in architecture. It took quite a while (and a lot of expense) but I finally finished the program. Because of my thesis I was assigned in Design 9 and also in CHERISH to teach in architectural conservation subject.The workshop we gave the student involved the Pasil district, but in a wider scale it involved the development of the old downtown Cebu as a result of a proposed third bridge to Mactan. This is also related to another involvement I had this year, the MEGA Cebu project. So far, my involvement had been to provide a limited technical service. I'm hoping to be more deeply involved by setting up a GIS office in CAFA to support the project.

CAFA is moving towards doing more research as part of the university's move to become a research university. I got to present my thesis in two occasions: the Annual Conference for Architectural Research and Education (ACARE) in Bicol, and the Biennial Research Forum in USC.  Dr. Green also got me more involved in research by putting me in the research committee. We started some initiatives like the brown bag meetings and the Pecha Kucha. We are also in the middle of a research proposal workshop which we aim to involve our faculty and those from other university departments. We also made a line up of activities for the rest of the semester.

The other year I was very happy when the chairman approved my request to teach the theory subjects other than the history of architecture subjects. I felt that this is where I have more edge than the others. This year I was made head of the history and theory cluster. I find this exciting because our cluster made some plans to offer a separate course on Filipino architecture and I can finally get to make it happen. I also started teaching in the graduate program, something that was part of my long term plan.

There were other things that happened in the university this year that is worth noting: meeting Shigiru Ban, my involvement with Lantawan, and a few other "achievements."

In our professional organization, the UAP-Sugbu Chapter, I was elected secretary for this year. My term will end on June. Although we had a lot of activities so far, it was more because of our president, Other than this, my only other professional involvement outside the university is a restaurant I did for an old client, and the Gabaldon restoration project with the Ramon Aboitiz Foundation, Inc. which is on hold because of the typhoon Yolanda.

One of my happiest moment this year is a reunion with my old boss when I worked in Manila. Its been seventeen years. I also got to meet another colleague at that time but we met some years ago and she actually facilitated this reunion. We were also planning to have a reunion with the rest of the staff. It was a dream team for me. Not only were they super efficient people, they were also my first true friends after college.

I tried to think of sad part of my year but I couldn't. There was that incident when I wrote a blog denouncing some developments in the University and I got the ire of the college of engineering and even the university administration but that was not something to be sad about. I also had a falling off with a friend because of money matters but, again, it's not something to be sad about. I also "kicked out" my housemates before - five siblings living with me in a two-bedroom apartment! - and got a colleague who also teaches in CAFA as a replacement.

I do remember feeling a little sad when I decided not to be coordinator of the intramural games anymore, haha! Such as petty matter!.There were many instances when I get anxious over problems but after I got to solve them I simply forget about those moments of anxiety or depression. Perhaps this is the greatest thing that happened to me this year: I have become stronger and more confident in myself. I had my time of being meek and mild but instead I became a victim of bullying by people that I used to admire.

All in all I think it was a good year. It went by so fast for me but it was also filled with good things. The coming year is the year of the wooden horse, Reminds me more about the Trojan horse. I already made my goals for this year and I hope to fulfill all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment