Saturday, January 5, 2008

Bamboo Frenzy

My friend is doing a research on the use of bamboo for building structures. We were just meeting our clients who are advocates of green architecture and we keep tabs of our researches. When they learned about my friend's research, they helped out in looking for materials. They just gave us pictures of things that fascinated them.
When I told them that, to some extent, bamboo can be a substitute for steel, they showed me some sheds constructed in bamboo frame. Other people might use steel for the frame, but the ones they show are ingenious.
Here's a barbecue shed made of bamboo and canvas.
This one is a better view.
The roof connection detail...
The floor connection detail...
There's also a parking shed for a car:
This waiting shed with a living roof is simply amazing. The posts are made of bamboo.
Here's a picture of the living roof when they were laying the grass...
Here's another shed structure but using a different roofing material.
The floor connection detail of the shed...

There are many other applications in bigger scale. These ones are just to prove my point about bamboo substituting steel. The waiting shed with a living roof is a bonus.

5 comments:

  1. oh my goodness.. this is SOOO cool!!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. gi-process pa nang kawayan ana sir ky murag lahi lage ang color? or gipintalan ba?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend told me that the bamboo is immersed in seawater to treat it. He promised to give me the documentation on it. I'll post it here once I get it. The ones shown here are also painted.

    By the way, check out the video I posted in the LINKS section about the lecture of Ross Lovegrove, an industrial designer. He showed a BAMBOO BIKE! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. For those interested to know the different species of bamboo, how to treat them, how to use in construction and how to maintain, check out this website (http://www.cabiokid.org/showpages_folder/shownews_bamboo.html)

    ReplyDelete
  5. mura gd sa bamboo organ na gi gtreat ug seawater...

    ReplyDelete