Tuesday, November 11, 2008

111108 - Heritage and School Mayhem

I mentioned in my other blogs how I started to gather my former classmates in grade school, high school, and college. For those I've met so far, we agreed to keep ourselves updated through blogs. Not everyone writes so we all agreed to try writing on a monthly basis. Those who know me, however, asked me to write every week! Well, I have the habit of writing my thoughts anyway so what the heck!

Well, that adventure led me to Blogger. I happen to read a blog here that talked about the benefits of blogging and even the possibility of earning. I guess I'm just too adventurous because I actually ended up creating an account here. The plan is to continue writing about my weekly activities here and just place links in my other sites to visit this one... So where were we...

After settling down I attended a three-day seminar on Heritage Conservation. It was fantastic. The speakers are very good. There was Prof. Ambeth Ocampo, the head of the National Heritage Institute, and also Prof. Fernando Zialcita, who authored the book "Philippine Ancestral Houses." I joined the workshop on Integrating Heritage in the Curriculum since I teach in the university. I ended up writing a blog about the result of the workshop. I'm also writing to our dean regarding suggestions on how to impliment workshop output in our college.

The third day was a tour to the old town of Carcar. I didn't join the tour because my friend Chris wanted me to go to Bantayan Island with him to see a site for his project. Unfortunately there was a storm so our trip was cancelled. I decided to hang out with a friend who came to Cebu for a jewelry show. She was selling all these very expensive jewelries. I bought two necklaces which I intended to give to my dad and mom.

That night, my housemate had the bright idea of a "general cleaning" for the apartment... It's a Saturday night. I should be out with my friends drinking beer! (although I've been doing that the past three nights). We managed to make the place look really neat... Cool... I plan to do general cleaning every Sunday but in different areas. One Sunday for the living areas, another for the kitchen and backyard, another for the toilet, and another for my room. This way the whole apartment is covered every month.

The following day was a Sunday but I was holed up in my room most of the day. I was finishing a textbook I was making for Descriptive Geometry. The goal is to print the materials by Wednesday. It's one of those legacies I want to leave behind in the university. I've actually done a lot for the college but I always worked in the background. I think it's time to put my name on anything that I manage to produce which benefits a lot of people.

Since it's a weekend I decided to meet up with friends. We hang out in Ayala Terraces. I've been waiting for this place to open. Unfortunately I was in Davao when they did. Anyway, I was with Chris and we talked about his project. Carlo Rodriguez also joined us and I found out he was selling these home made jewelries and accessories made of wood, glass, and other stuffs. I bought some for Christmas gifts. I also bought a necklace and bracelet which I'm now wearing everyday.

Monday is supposed to be the first day of class. I have a 7:30am class so I went. There were only three students! Apparently students are still adjusting their subjects. Because of the sudden shift to the old enrolment system a lot of subjects already enrolled disappeared in the process. Some students had to go back from square one. It was total chaos! I decided to help out in encoding and I actually enjoyed it. I'm actually free so far since the department has not finalized my teaching load and I only know of a couple of subjects so far.

I think the best thing that happened on Tuesday is that my housemate assembled his drumset in the living area. It's really, really coooollll!!! He used to be the drummer of a band that's getting national recognition but he decided to drop it and concentrate on schooling. The rest of the day was spent on the textbook and other stuffs I wanted done by Wednesday.

I really can't wait for classes to go full swing. Surprisingly a lot of students also texted me that they too are very eagier to go back to school! Anyway, I have many things to look forward to. I'm supposed to print my textbook and some drawings tomorrow. I also expect to know my final teaching load. I'm also quite excited about this blogging adventure...

No comments:

Post a Comment