Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Break's Last Leg

Ok, ok... I gained weight! Big deal! Let it be known throughout the world wide web!

I just got back from Cebu and top on my agenda was to visit USC to check my teaching load for the semester. I was perplexed to hear the same greeting from my students: "Hello sir! You gained weight!" Aaargh!... Anyway, who wouldn't? After the NCA I was recuperating from my cough so all I did was stay at home. ILater on everyone in the family started arriving for the All Souls Day so we decided to have a reunion party. In short, there is plenty of food everyday!

Just because I stayed at home most of the time doesn't mean I was idle. I managed to make a sample of a center piece for a table arrangement for my cousin's wedding in December, I got to correct the invitations they printed, I also submitted five designs for a Zen Zest stand, draw and extension of a dormitory, and complete a set of working drawings for plotting.

The reunion was quite emotional especially for my dad. Well, there's a long story behind it which is quite personal and private, but my older sister will be going to Dubai, my youngest sister will be going to Japan, and my other sister stays in Bukidnon. It will take a few more years before we gather again. The only person not present during the reunion is the husband of my youngest sister who is in Japan, and the husband of my oldest sister who is AWOL (hehe).

The night before I left for Cebu, these two sisters of mine and also the husband of my other sister decided to have beer with me in Torres Street. I brought them to the place designed by my friend. After that we had balbacua in Bulca-Chong. They updated me on the family issues. For some reason my family does not have the habit of telling me about the happenings in Davao. I've learned to accept that and, anyway, I have a way of getting information.

Back in Cebu, aside from the greetings from my students, I was also perplexed to know that the teaching load has not been finalized yet! I wanted to use this week to prepare so now I'll be idle! USC postponed the start of class because the internet based enrolment system which they launched last semester failed a week after the start of enrolment for this semester. They had to revert to the old system which was internal in USC. This means encoding all the enrolment data from one system to the other.

On the bright side, the painting works and repairs work done in the apartment has finished so I can now start arranging my things! The workers also did a miracle in cleaning the toilet! The best news... we're now wi-fi in the apartment! Yahoooooooh!!!

That's about it. The last leg of my sem break... Some things to look forward to aside from start of class on Monday is a three-day seminar on heritage starting tomorrow, and a site visit in Bantayan on Sunday.

1 comment: