Saturday, September 13, 2008

Fun with Research

Nothing beats our research class.... Actually I'm not enrolled in it. I already took it two years ago but I volunteered to assist the instructor. She's a sociologist. Our dean was very impressed with her when he heard her make a report in a research forum. He recommended that she teach the subject. I even had a blooper when I first called her up about the teaching offer. I thought I was calling a male persons since the name given to me was "Jo". Turns out it was a "Josephine."

Apparently she does not know anything about the practice of architecture. She was overwhelmed the first time she taught the subject. Some of the graduate students even questioned her ability to teach the subject. Well... long and short is... I decided to lend a hand. So far, things are doing well.. very well...

She had the idea of involving the class in a pilot research project. So every time we meet we would "huddle" to brainstorm in formulating the questions, defining goals, indicators, etc... We drew up a set of questions for interviews, went through a list of respondents, did actual interview, and just this afternoon she taught us how we are going to process the data. Unless the students are not interested at all, the activity was actually helping us understand the subject better.

The best part of it is actually LUNCH! Haha!... We arranged for pot luck and our class is like a picnic. It eases away tension, we get to talk freely about ideas... blah, blah.... My only complaint is that they ask me to finish up everything.... but they bring so much food!!!

Our teacher is celebrating her birthday next Saturday. Since we don't have a scheduled meeting that day, we arranged to meet outside Friday night so we can also celebrate. Hmm.... we should give a gift... think.. think...

5 comments:

  1. Ma'm Jo is the best, right Troy? The grade that she gave us! Tsk, nothing beats that. And yeah, she started that potluck lunch thing way back during the first year of the CAFA graduate school. Missed those days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But you can still join our "research picnic"! Only if your strict teachers dismiss you for lunch. Haha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hate to say it but I'm beginning to dislike some classes na because of so much tension and stress in the air hehehe....I'll just console myself by starting a mini-countdown to the UAP NCA in Davao in October (if I can survive the hell week before that)...God bless us all!

    ReplyDelete