Thursday, September 25, 2008

Video et Taceo

Actually, I'm writing this to express my confusion. I simply don't know how to react. The result of the thesis defense came out. While I'm happy that some made it, I'm also sad that others didn't... especially those who are close to me. And then there are the complaints against teachers and other students... I guess it's always like this every semester.

I've been trying to improve the thesis program and we were doing well. Suddenly everything changed. For some reason rules kept changing, faculty members are shying away from serving among the thesis panel, more confusions arose...etc.. etc... I hear it everywhere!

I am pretty sure that I'm not the only faculty member who is aware of this. I'm also sure that the current dean is fully aware of the situation. In the past I would do something about it, but I end up always confronting walls. Even the students who complained would not lift a finger. Perhaps it is best to apply the motto of Queen Elizabeth I: video et taceo (I see, and say nothing).

It seems like a motto eveyone else has adopted, even the students themselves. Sure they don't lack in the expletives and threats... but it ends there. If the people in government in the college and department are silent about it, if the students with valid complaints are silent about it, if the colleagues who can influence each other are silent about it... then taceo!

10 comments:

  1. the last time we did something about it, it backfired...
    we feel so helpless...

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's like...if we do something...again...we'll be adding insult to injury...
    frustrating!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we're like third world countries... we're like at the mercy of the power-hungry uberly-rich first world...

    what am i saying... anyway...

    ey meow.. that sounds familiar, ahahaha..

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good comparison would be wearing a turtle-neck and a back pack.. its like being dragged down and strangled by a weak guy..

    ReplyDelete
  5. me, my partner, our families, and our adviser did something abwt it. hehe..

    anyway, the chairman said he'll SEE what he can do. hmmm... i wonder how long we'll have to wait.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I commend you for taking action. Your adviser did bring it up in our faculty meeting and the chairman did promise to do something about it. He also said that all conflicts regarding the thesis can be brought to his attention since he is, after all, the chairman of the thesis council.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh yeah, and for the record...

    a scene at Arch't Espina's office:

    mayan/sheena: sir, unsaon mani sir? dili jud siya mu-sign.. we have complied naman to everything found in the comment sheets..nya nana baya mi grade sir..

    espina: "the grade i gave u is just 3.0, thats so generic for a major revision..." "..ul just have to satisfy (rafanan) kay siya man inyu coordinator karon. what do you want me to do?!? i cant force him, that wud be UNFAIR!"

    mayan/sheena: sir, he said man that if all the other panelists have signed already, he will have to sign nalang...

    espina (irritated): ayaw ko ninyu samok-samoka ani! u go to his house, u talk to him abwt this!

    and then, he sends us out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ayyy sus... doesn't matter. im out anyway. soon, (i hope?)

    ReplyDelete